Thursday 16 February 2012

Aventura Gough

When it come to a bit of R&R we are fortunate enough to have all we need close at hand. Yes, it may not be a luxurious warm water resort or spot right by the dam, but we have established our own "Aventura resort". Welcome to Aventura Gough
When the week of work catches up we can easily pack the tent and head out for a night or two of camping, or relax in our self catering chalet and enjoy the sounds of the sea and the birds.
What more could one ask for?!
This is the perfect place to kick back and relax. And that is exactly what this past week was all about.

We have recently changed our work roster (again) and now work a 5 day/5 night/ 5 off, schedule.
So after a long stint at work, a brief time out is always welcomed. Slowing the pace to allow the body to recover is vital. Don't want to let the stress from the week take hold! So after my time spent at work a break was most welcomed. Initial plans were for the budget friendly option that the resort offered. A couple nights camping and enjoy the wonders of the island.
Karen and Sylvain had been watching the weather forecast and noted that this week would see a high pressure system passing over the island very slowly and wanted to take advantage of the good weather that would be around for a couple of days. They were keen to do a bit of bird watching. And by that I mean the round the island count of the Tristan albatrosses. This meant a trip to the northern parts of the island. Not being one to turn down an opportunity like this, and waste my time off I jumped at the idea. Only to have my enthusiasm curbed a few minutes later. Sadly my colleague Nkoane/Jack fell ill and received his marching orders. He was ordered to his room to get some rest. This meant that I was called in to take over his shift and was unable to head out for a little bit of camping and bird watching. However I was not terribly perturbed by this unfortunate event. I would rather miss out on a chance to go camping, than see a fellow islander ill. So I was all to happy to cover for Jack and make sure he was back on his feet. After all, there will be other opportunities to go camping and birding.

Good did come from this, as I was able to take advantage of the great weather and climb Tafelkoppie... Again! Yes, I realise I have climbed TK several times already, but one does not grow tired of the view. Although, this trip also presented the perfect opportunity to take my other colleague, Gerard/Boy along so he could see the impressive Tristan albatross. So a last minute decision was made and off we went. This was his first time up TK and the first time that he was to see the Tristan's. For a first time attempt I was very impressed with his determination and spirit in tackling the steep, slippery and muddy path. He proved to be very pleasant company and it was an absolute pleasure to be able to show him the way up and afford him the opportunity to see the amazing Tristan albatross.
Taking a break on the TK path
Almost there...

Boy's reaction upon seeing one for the first time was well worth it. The look of amazement that falls upon ones face when they first lay eyes on these incredible birds in real life is priceless, and can give some indication as to how impressive they are. I can only imagine the look that came upon my face when I first saw one of these magnificent birds. With there crisp white feathers and a wing span of up to 3 meters. It is a treat every time I see them. Watching one fly over head and being caught in the vast shadow it casts is a privilege that I am so grateful for.

The mountain air is rather addictive as I have come to realise, and the same can now be said for Boy, who has now been compelled to climb TK again and follow through all the way to the top of South Peak, descending down the other side, then moving along to Goneydale, and returning to the base from there. Lets hope for some more good weather.
apart from being addictive, it also fills one with copious amounts of energy. And it seems TK has turned into a bit of a playground.


Apart from playing the part as tour guide along my favourite path, I was also able to catching up on some reading and getting some well deserved rest. Feeling fit and ready for my next few days on shift.
This is why we call it Aventura Gough. Can always get that rest we all so badly need, but there is always enough to keep busy, with all that the resort has to offer. Well, at least that's the way I have come to view it!

Bring on the next week. Lets see what we can make of it.
And I do believe it will include the next round of seal weighing. Lets hope we can get a bit of a story out of that.
And I hope everyone had a wonderful valentines day. Here is a little something from me to you. Thanking everyone for there love and support, and for reading my account of Gough!

No comments:

Post a Comment