Wednesday 4 January 2012

Spiderman, Hobos, Birds, Weather and Bubbly

Happy birthday to me and a happy new year to everyone reading!

Well it was my birthday last week and I mentioned I would write something about it. Although it will be very brief! Our trip to Tafelkoppie was far more entertaining and interesting.

I must admit, I woke up on the 27th December rather grumpy. Yes it was my birthday, but it just wasn't feeling like it. I was up until about 4am because my body has now decided that that is when it should be up until. All thanks to the wonders of night shifts. I wonder if I will ever get used to this. Either way, will have to grin and bare! I suppose honesty is the best policy, and the grumpiness was also due to missing all my family and friends back home. But that had to pass!
But back to what I was saying. Birthday! I'll be honest and reveal all. At 26, I am the "baby" of the team. I'm the spring chicken with much to learn and much I hope to learn. So far I am getting what I wanted.
Once I got some energy into my tired bones and was able to pry open my eyes, I was greeted by secret surprises most to me! After my grumpy start it really cheered me up. Despite making me miss home, it still put a smile on my face knowing that even though there is this immense distance between us, I still have the thoughts, love and support from my loved ones.

Got all sorts of great party stuff as gifts so I could get the festivities going. Balloons, Party Poppers, streamers and hats. Even got some special cupcake mix and candles to complete things and really make it a proper party. Was brilliant and it left me with the biggest smile.

Upon leaving my room to get something to nibble before a slow amble to Admirals for some peace and quiet and fresh air, I was greeted by Jack who was baking a cake. And what an impressive cake it was. 4 layers of mouthwatering chocolate goodness, wrapped up in a creamy vanilla icing. But, I have to say that the sentiment in the Spider-man cupcakes just made them that much sweeter-Sorry Jack.
Spider-man Cupcakes. WINNER!!!
Once I returned I was congratulated by everyone as I bumped into them during the day. For that, I want to say thank you and express how much I appreciated the wishes from my great island family.
Thanks for the cake J-man. Was great!
Eventually it was down to dinner and then off to the bar for a little bit of a hobo themed celebration.
Turned out to be a great evening and a great birthday. Definitely one I will remember for many years to come.
Thanks everyone for making me feel like a king for a day!
Admirals 

Also a big thank you to all the people at home and all over who called and sent messages. You all helped make it a really special day! I am truly blessed with amazing family and friends. Love you all heaps!

The next couple days were pretty relaxed. Everyone was trying to gather their energy after the busyness of the days prior. And some of the team needed all the energy they could get as they had planned a trip to "The Glen" where they would spend 2 nights.
This is a one day hike up Tafelkoppie, then across to South Peak and down the valley toward the coast.
View of Gough House and the helipad from half way up Tafelkoppie.
The Glen is right along the coast on the eastern side of the island and is the place where the first base was established in 1956. Prior to that, this was also the place where the sealers from the 1800's used to camp in caves that they had carved out. And it was in these caves that the team of intrepid explorers hoped to stay. It is the only beach where it is possible to land a small dinghy ashore and this is the reason for it being the sight of the original base and landing point for all other coming ashore.
Although this sounds like an extremely exciting trip, I'm sad to say that I was unfortunately not one of the individuals who went, or at least attempted to get there.
Our biologists, Karen and Sylvain lead the trip and were accompanied by Jack and Marius.
they had planned to reach the Glen in one day and spend two nights before returning.
Sunette and myself on the other hand had decided that regardless of the weather we would accompany them as far as South Peak. Well that didn't happen. Not to say that we didn't accompany them, it was just not as far as we had hoped. The weather was just not in our favour. When we left the base that morning the sun was awkwardly hiding behind the clouds, but once we got near the top it had abandoned us altogether and left us with a steady stream of drizzle and then rain. Sunette and I went as far as Tafelkoppie and then had to wish them well as they went on, and we turned and headed back. We were all to keen to go on further, but the mist was far too thick, and there was great concern about us not finding our way back without the GPS. We were not disappointed in the least, cause just after they left we stumbled across a Tristan Albatross, happily sitting in the rain and prepared to pose for some photos.
That's to add to the Sooty albatross mother with chick, Gough Bunting (which is endemic to the island) and another muddier Tristan Albatross, that we saw on the way up. Was proving to be a very exciting trip irrespective of the weather and the fact that we were not headed all the way to The Glen. And It only got better still. 
Sooty Albatross with chick.
Gough Bunting. You won't see this little fella at home. Or anywhere else for that matter.
On our way back down we had some good laughs as we almost lost our gum boots in the mud and stumbled and fell, opposed to walking back down. There was even someone who thought it a good idea to roll down one section. This contributed to the amusement factor greatly. Thanks G56 for the new Tafelkoppie tradition!
Jack with the inquisitive, yet dirty; Tristan Albatross
And still the rain didn't help. The female Tristan is darker than the male.


Male Tristan Albatros.

Up the valley from the Golden Highway
Down the valley from the Golden Highway
Incredible waterfall discovery with Sunette.
As we went down further we arrived at what is called the Golden Highway. This is a section in the valley where the path goes along the river and provides for some great views up toward the mountain through the valley, as well as down toward the coast. Once we arrived at the highway we decided to follow the river just that little bit further and skip the path out the valley. Probably the best decision we made, as not more than 30 meters from where the path peels away from the highway, the river cascades over a ledge some 20 meters high to form a spectacular waterfall. We took a look around and managed to find a way to get to the bottom and still get out again. This definitely proved to be the highlight of the walk regardless of the weather.
At the top of the waterfall.
We managed our way out of the valley and got back onto the path and easily enough and made it back to base, with one or two awkward falls and time to spare.
What a great walk it turned out to be. Especially after so many days of disappointment because of the weather. Still the weather was not on our side and we had to skip the incredible view, but everything else more than made up for it. Can't wait for the next trip. Although I would prefer we have sunny skies and can enjoy the mesmerising view!

Our "Glen" team. From left to right: Karen, Sylvain, Jack, Marius.
Oh, and the team of intrepid explorers sadly didn't make it to the Glen because of the poor visibility, slipery conditions and the uncertainty of whether they were on the correct path or not. So rather not risk it, they had to find a spot to set up camp and make there way back the next day. Still they had an exciting time and plenty stories to tell upon their safe return. 
There is talk of another expedition to the Glen when the weather is better. Really hope to tag along for that one. Holding thumbs!

New years was quiet at the base with only Gerard, Sunette, Leo and myself. We all sat around for some of Leonard's legendary apricot spare ribs and then watched "Happy Feet" (Penguins are an obsession for all of us here) and then spent the remainder of 2011 in the bar and welcomed in the new year together with a glass of bubbly.
Seeing as I was working and had to stay awake I had a Leonard and Sunette volunteer to keep me company until 3am. They did well to make it till 02:30 despite the long day. And that was how I was able to end off an incredible year! Pretty sure that 2012 will produce some legendary moments for all of us.
So, cheers to what was a great 2011, and what is going to be a blessed 2012.

Sunette and Marius en route to Tafelkoppie.
Waterfall.
Down into a misty valley from Tafelkoppie
 

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful place Dunne! Such a blessing to be able to share in your adventures!!!!

    ReplyDelete